Here are some frequently asked questions by expats wanting to know more about lending in Australia, the process, interest rates, and more.
What Documents Do I need to Prove My Income?
- This really depends on your employment situation. Some typical requirements are as follows
- Letter from Accountant to confirm how long your business has been trading for and the income
- Last 3 Payslips or Monthly income paper work
- Last 6 months bank account statements showing regular income deposits
- Annual Tax Returns or equivalents
Please note: If the documents above are in a different language then these will need to be translated.
Can I Borrow In Another Currency?
Unfortunately this is no longer an option that is available. The only currency you can borrow in is Australian (AUD).
How Much Deposit Will I Need and What Is The Maximum I Can Borrow?
This also depends on your residency status. If you are an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident then you could borrow up to 90% of the purchase price, meaning you will need to come up with at least 10% deposit. If you are a non resident then your maximum borrowing will be 80% and you will need to come up with 20% deposit.
Can You Help Me Find A Property?
Yes, we have a recommended Buyers Agent that can assist you with your next investment purchase. Just send through an enquiry and we can get them to contact you for an obligation free quote.
Will I Have a Higher Interest Rate Because I Work Overseas?
No, because our lenders do not change their products for overseas clients, you will get the exact same products and rates as if you were a local resident, living and working in Australia.
Is Foreign Investment Review Board Approval Required?
If you are an Australian, or New Zealand Resident or Citizen then the answer is No, you will not need FIRB Approval. If you are a Non Resident, then yes you will need to seek approval when purchasing property in Australia. This typically takes around 2 weeks to apply for and we can assist you with this.
Which Countries are Acceptable To Work In?
Presently, our lenders will lend to individual residents of the following countries:
- Austria (subject to conditions – refer to Non Resident Lending before proceeding with the application)
- Cayman Islands
- East Timor
- Falkland Islands
- Hong Kong
- Iceland (subject to customer providing a copy of a Withholding Tax Exemption from the
Iceland Revenue Authority)
- Iraq (lend in AUD only)
- New Caledonia